• aila American
  • seal Michigan
  • us U.S. Court
    of Appeals
    Sixth Circuit

B1/B2 Visa

Michigan Immigration Lawyer

Helping Clients in and around Detroit Obtain B-1 and B-2 Visas

Visitors to a foreign country may require a B-1 or B-2 visa depending on the nature of their visit and the length of their stay in the foreign country. Generally, foreign nationals who wish to enter the United States must first obtain a visa, either a nonimmigrant visa for temporary stay, or an immigrant visa for permanent residence (green card). The visa allows a foreign citizen, to travel to the United States port-of entry and request permission of the U.S. immigration inspector to enter the U.S.

The “visitor” B-1 or B-2 visa is a nonimmigrant visa for persons desiring to enter the United States temporarily for business purposes (B-1), for pleasure or medical treatment (B-2), or combination of both (B-1/B-2) purposes. Michigan immigration attorney David Newman has considerable experience assisting clients with a wide range of immigration needs, including helping clients obtain the appropriate visa. Not only does he guide clients through the process of obtaining a B-1 and B-2 visas, but he can also assist with the process of obtaining an H-1B visa, an L-1 visa, or an E-1/E-2 visa, as circumstances dictate.

B-1 Business Visitor Visas

B-1 Business Visitor Visas are available for those visitors to the United States whose purpose for travel is to consult with business associates; travel for a scientific, educational, professional or business convention, or conference on specific dates; settle an estate; or negotiate a contract.

While in the U.S. as a business visitor with B-1 visa, an individual may:

  • Conduct negotiations
  • Solicit sales or investment
  • Discuss planned investment or purchases
  • Make investments or purchases
  • Attend and participate in meetings
  • Interview and hire staff
  • Conduct research

If an individual conducts the following activities, however, he or she is required to obtain an H-1B visa, L-1 visa, or other employment-based visa:

  • Operates a business
  • Engages in gainful employment
  • Receives payment by an organization within the US
  • Participates as a professional in entertainment or sporting events

B-2 Recreational/Medical Treatment Visas

B-2 Medical Treatment Visas are available for those visitors to the U.S. who purpose for travel is recreational in nature, including tourism, amusement, visits with friends or relatives, rest, medical treatment, activities of a fraternal, social, or service nature. The B-2 visa is also available for foreign nationals traveling to the United States to participate in a musical, sports or other similar event or content who will receive no remuneration.

Knowledgeable Immigration Advice

Michigan business immigration attorney David Newman understands that an individual’s presence in the United States may apply to a number of different visa options. After carefully listening to your situation, he will assess the available visa options and advise you on the best course of action. As an experienced Michigan visa attorney, David Newman will also guide you through the visa application process, including assisting with the preparation of your application and monitoring its progress.

If you want to learn more about your visa immigration options, contact Detroit area immigration lawyer David Newman at (248) 737-1824 to learn more about the visa options available for your situation, including a possible B-1 or B-2 visa.